Varberg Tunneln FAS 2
Strategically important railway project in Varberg.
On behalf of the Swedish Transport Administration, we are expanding the West Coast Railway with double track and a tunnel under the centre of Varberg. The contract covers approximately nine kilometres of double track, level crossings, new bridges, a new station and a new freight yard. All passenger and freight traffic on Västkustbanan is planned to be able to run throughout the construction.
Services in detail
The contract form is ECI with a Phase 1 and Phase 2. The contract includes the design and production of:
- New freight terminal
- Completion of the Lassabacke landfill
- New bridge to Getterön
- Concrete trough, submerged area, 900 m
- New station with immersed platforms
- Concrete tunnel, 300 metres
- Rock tunnel, 2.8 km
- Service and rescue tunnel alongside the mountain tunnel
- New railway bridge over the Eastern route
- New railway bridge at Vareborg
- Storm water retention ponds, service roads, technical buildings and noise protection
Railway traffic for passengers and freight must be maintained throughout the whole construction period which requires detailed planning of various traffic phases.
High requirements on limitation for noise emission, vibration and structure-borne noise have to be observed, in particular within the urban area of Varberg, where the tunnel entrance has only a few meters of rock coverage.
In the north, the construction site adjoins a nature and bird sanctuary, which is subject to strict environmental regulations.
In confined areas of the construction field heavily contaminated soils require increased occupational safety measurements.
- Realization 2019 – 2025
- Contract values SEK 3.446 million
- EUR ~ 328 million
- CHF ~ 359 million
- Total length ~ 8 km
- Excav. cross-section Main tunnel ~130m²
- Service tunnel ~40 m²
- Geology Charnockite, Granite
Implenia on Site
Implenia Construction GmbH
Landsberger Straße 290 a, D-80687 München
Implenia Sweden AB,
Liljeholmsstranden 5, SE-11743 Stockholm
Scope of works
Design and build of the temporary and perma-nent works for the turnkey delivery of the pro-ject.
- Design and build of: Tunneling works; road works; railway construction including railway infrastructure, traffic control technology and interlocking technology; concrete works for tunnels, troughs, bridges; utility works; noise protection walls and dams; landscaping; turn-key construction of a railway station. Demoli-tion works.
- Construction methods
- Conventional Drill & Blast excavation for the rocktunnels.
- Cut & Cover method for concrete tunnels.
- Conventional scaffolding for bridges
- Balasted Tracks
Tyréns (tender documents)
Implenia TDO, Atkins, Golder, Abako, TFIP (de-tailed design )